Saturday, April 7, 2012

WILTED LETTUCE

              

When I was a little girl, wilted lettuce was a summertime staple at our dinner table.  I have to admit that I never liked it when I was young (although I’m not sure I ever tried it).  Of course now I like it and have noticed that some really fancy restaurants serve a warm bacon dressing that is really just fancy  wilted lettuce.
This dish is best when you use lettuce that you pick fresh from your garden!  Yummy!

Ingredients: the amounts are up to you
Lettuce
Radishes, sliced
4-6 bacon strips, diced
3 T.  balsamic vinegar (or more if you wish)
Black pepper to taste

Instructions:
*Wash and tear lettuce into a serving bowl
*Wash and slice radishes and add them to the lettuce
*Fry the diced bacon, remove pieces onto a paper towel lined plate to drain.
*Turn off the heat and stir in the vinegar and pepper to the bacon drippings (be careful  because the addition causes the drippings to bubble). 
*Turn the heat back on and bring just to a boil.
*Pour dressing over lettuce and radishes, add bacon pieces and toss.

**Another popular addition to this salad is finely chopped onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment