Saturday, April 21, 2012

ROASTED EGGPLANT


I really enjoy eating eggplant, but I can’t say the same for my family.  They usually end up just pushing it around on their plates although they proclaim that they like it.  I think the main problem is that I’ve been cooking it in a very simple way, which I will detail for you in today’s post.  You see, I love keeping food as pure and simple as possible so that the actual flavor of the main ingredient, in this case eggplant, shines through.  I plan on developing an eggplant parmesan recipe soon, so be looking for that.  But for today I want you to taste eggplant with its natural flavor enhanced simply by roasting.  Honestly I feel sorry for the large amount of eggplant I see in my grocery store.  I think the more popular broccoli and even zucchini get all the attention.  Maybe it’s because we are too lazy to try something new or maybe we’re afraid to fail.  Either way I hope you will boldly bring home some eggplant and confidently serve it to your family.  You may just discover a new favorite!

Ingredients:
1 large eggplant (or several small ones)
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Black Pepper

Instructions:
*Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
*Spray a baking sheet with sides with PAM
*Wash the eggplant(s) and slice lengthwise into ¼ inch slices.
*Brush both sides of each slice with olive oil and salt and pepper each side lightly.
*Place the eggplant slices onto the baking sheet.
*Bake at 400 degrees on the center rack of the oven until tender and browning-about 35-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment