Tuesday, April 3, 2012

ROASTED LEG OF LAMB


Easter is this coming Sunday and I will be serving coke ham (posted on October 4th, 2011) and lamb with deviled eggs (posted on January  27th, 2012),  individual cheese soufflés (posted on January 11th, 2012), asparagus and lemon pies (posted on February 22nd, 2012).  Today I’d like to share with you my recipe for leg of lamb.  Actually lamb chops are my favorite way to eat lamb but they are sooo expensive when feeding a crowd.   So, I will be roasting a leg of lamb similar to the way I prepare prime rib.    I hope you will try your hand at roasting leg of lamb for your family.  I think you’ll be very pleased with this delicious Easter treat.

Ingredients:
3 to 6 pounds of --Leg of Lamb
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Fresh, chopped rosemary

Instructions:
*Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
*Mix salt, pepper and rosemary
*Cut shallow slits across the surface of the  lamb and rub the seasoning mixture into the meat.
*Place the meat onto a rack in a deep roasting pan.
*Roast for 15 minutes at 450 degrees and then reduce the heat to 375 degrees for 20 minutes per pound.
*Use a good meat thermometer to get the best result.  140 to 150 degrees is best for medium rare.  160 degrees for well done.
*Allow lamb to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing

**Alternate method:
Some prefer the slow roasting method, which is to roast the lamb at 325 degrees for 2 and ½ hours or until the meat thermometer indicates desired doneness.

No comments:

Post a Comment