Friday, February 10, 2012

FRIDAY HARVARD BEETS


When I was a child I never dreamed I would enjoy beets.  Now I even like them raw and finely shredded into salad!  When I see them—fresh---in the produce section, it takes all my strength to not buy them.  I do buy them occasionally, but I’m the only one in my family who will eat them.  Here is my recipe for Harvard Beets or as this is pronounced in Georgia,  “ Haaavaad Beets”.  Try them and maybe you will be a beet supporter like me.  “YAY BEETS”!

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked beets*
*Just used the canned ones or if you are adventurous, put on some disposable kitchen gloves to protect your hands from becoming stained.  Peel, slice and boil the fresh beets until tender and then proceed with the recipe.
1/3 cup sugar
1 T. corn starch
½ t. salt
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup boiling water
2 T. butter

Instructions:
*Place sugar, corn starch, salt, vinegar and water into a saucepan.  Cook until this makes a clear sauce, stirring constantly.
*Add the cooked beets.
*Keep warm on lowest heat for 30 minutes.
*Add 2 T. butter to sauce and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment