Monday, February 20, 2012

FAMILY FRUIT SALAD AND CLASSIC WALDORF SALAD


This fruit salad recipe was a staple in my home as I grew up in Georgia.  My Mother served it with many entrees but especially when we had pork chops or sometimes with roast beef.  My Grandmother added pecans or walnuts when she served it—and that reminds me of Waldorf  Salad, which originated at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City.  So today, I will include both my family fruit salad recipe and a classic Waldorf  Salad.  Try both and see which one your family enjoys!

FRUIT SALAD
Ingredients:
3 apples (your choice) cut into bite-size chunks
2 bananas, cut into thick slices
1 large spoonful of mayonnaise or miracle whip
1 small spoonful of mustard
Optional addition:  ¼ cup of chopped pecans or walnuts

Instructions:
*Mix all ingredients together.  Add more mayonnaise or mustard if fruit is not combining well.
*Serve immediately

Classic Waldorf Salad:
Ingredients:
1 cup red or green grapes, halved
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup chopped walnuts
½ cup mayonnaise
2 t. lemon juice
Salt
Pepper

Instructions:
*Mix all ingredients together,
*Serve on a layer of lettuce.

Fruit Salad and Waldorf Salad Options:
*Use low fat mayonnaise or a combination of low fat yogurt and low fat mayo for the full fat version.
*Add raisins or other dried fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment