Thursday, December 1, 2011

LOBSTER BISQUE


I don’t make this very often because I prefer to use fresh lobster, which is traumatic (since it involves my causing the demise of a living creature).  I swear I thought I was going to need therapy after the last “lobster boil”.  I usually get my grown kids to come over and help me with this event.  We usually scream so much we probably scare the poor lobster to death before he even hits the water.  All that said, you have to know that this is one of my very best recipes!  The flavor is amazing (if I do say so myself)!  You can use frozen (canned) lobster or substitute snow crab meat if you wish.  Have fun!


Ingredients:
4 T. butter
1 small sweet onion, finely diced
2 large stalks celery, finely diced
1/3 c. flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups chopped cooked lobster meat (chopped cooked snow crab meat may be used)
2 cups heavy cream or half and half
¼-1/2 cup fresh, chopped tarragon
 (chopped, cooked shrimp may be added, if desired)
sea salt or kosher salt
black pepper

Instructions:
*In a soup pot, melt butter. 
*Add onion and celery and sauté until translucent. 
*Remove from heat and whisk in flour.  Return to heat and whisk vigorously, cooking flour slightly.
*Whisk in chicken broth.  Slowly bring to a boil, stirring often.  Reduce heat to simmer. 
*Add cream.  Continue to simmer without scalding milk.  *Add lobster (and shrimp if desired).
* After about 8 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste and fresh tarragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment