Wednesday, December 14, 2011

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE


I hope you enjoy this family favorite.  It’s great to serve over the Christmas holidays when everyone gathers together.  Experiment with different cheeses and toppings—or try fresh broccoli instead of frozen.  Let me know how you like it.  I’d love to hear from you!

Ingredients:
2   ten ounce packages of chopped frozen broccoli
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup milk
1 can cream of celery soup, undiluted
1 cup mayonnaise (I use the olive oil variety)
2-3 cups sharp cheese
Black pepper to taste
Ritz crackers, crushed

Instructions:
*Cook broccoli in salted water and then drain (don’t overcook)
*In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, soup, mayonnaise, cheese and pepper.  *Add  cooked and cooled broccoli.
*Pour into pyrex baking dish that has been sprayed with PAM
*Sprinkle a thin layer of crushed Ritz crackers over the top surface of the mixture.
*Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until casserole is hot and bubbly and top is golden brown.  Tent aluminum foil over the top if it becomes too brown during cooking.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this one when the kids are here. Can you make it ahead and freeze it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa--I think you could freeze if you need to. Just leave the topping off until you heat it back up. I wouldn't freeze it uncooked because of the mayo and eggs and cheese.
    I think I would thaw it out a bit on "defrost" in the microwave and then finish it off in the oven with the topping.

    ReplyDelete