Tuesday, May 8, 2012

POLENTA FRIES

                       

I love polenta!  I think it’s because it reminds me of grits from my Southern roots.  I heard about someone making fries from polenta and I thought that was very interesting, so I did a little research and came up with a recipe that I think you will enjoy.  The fries are really delicious---but also very fun to make.  I think this would be a great cooking activity for you and your kids.  Serve them with your favorite sauce, anything from ketchup to  a spicy mayo would be wonderful. 

Ingredients:
4 cups chicken broth
2 and ½  cups whole milk (more if mixture is too thick during cooking process)
3 T. butter
3 and ¼ cups dry polenta
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
¼ cup finely chopped parsley
Kosher salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
Canola or grapeseed oil (for frying)

Instructions:
*Pour chicken broth, milk and butter into a sauce pan.
*Whisk in polenta and bring to a boil.  Then reduce heat and stir until polenta thickens and begins to set up (pulling away from the sides of the pan).  This takes about 10-15 minutes.
*Remove from heat and stir in cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.
*Lightly spray a baking sheet  (with sides)  with PAM.
*Spread polenta onto the  baking sheet (evenly) and refrigerate until cold.
*Remove from refrigerator and cut into thin (or thick) “fries” (approximately 4 inch sticks).
*Heat oil in  a heavy (I use cast iron) frying pan or deep fryer.  Fry polenta fries until crispy.
*Remove and place on paper towel lined baking sheet.  Serve warm with your favorite sauce.

2 comments:

  1. This is genius! I love polenta in all its shapes and forms. These would go great with some pizza sauce for dipping or Bolognese sauce!

    The Wanderfull Traveler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Murissa! I hope you will try making them soon. I ate so many polenta fries last night, I was too full for supper! Let me know how your's turn out.

    ReplyDelete