Tuesday, May 22, 2012

LEMONY LEMON SQUARES

             

It’s LEMON WEEK!!  I will post a new or re-post a favorite lemony recipe every day this week for you.  What are some of your favorite lemon creations?
Lemon squares are a favorite party item in the South.  There are many different methods for making them but I think this is the best one!  Enjoy….

Crust:
2 cups flour
2 sticks melted butter (1 cup)
¼ cup powdered sugar
Instructions:
*Mix the above ingredients together.  Press into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pyrex baking dish. 
*Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Filling:
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup flour
½  t. baking powder
¼  t. salt
4 eggs
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 t. lemon zest

Instructions:
*Beat ingredients with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
*Pour over hot crust.
*Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees until firmly set.
*Remove from oven and let cool. (You may refrigerate to cool)
*Cut into squares and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
*Store in refrigerator.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I will be sitting with you this Saturday at the McCombs wedding. My mom is Lyla's sister. Since the shower, mom told me about your blog and i have found it very interesting. I was wondering if you have ever cooked asparagus with a white sauce. I would like to make this with salmon for my mom's 75th birthday Sunday. Thanks! And I will see you Saturday!
    Jacqui FLetcher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacqui. I look forward to meeting you on Saturday. I haven't ever cooked asparagus with a white sauce, but I'm assuming you are referring to a basic bechamel sauce. I posted my recipe for bechamel sauce on March 13, 2012. Type "bechamel sauce" in the search bar and it will show up for you. I typically use this sauce with pasta but I think it would be good with asparagus. Be sure to use whatever cheese you wish. If you need a recipe for a white sauce of another type, please let me know. I am so happy you commented. Let me know how it turns out.
    PS. We're having asparagus tonight for supper, coincidentally!

    ReplyDelete