Friday, May 11, 2012

HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE PUDDING

                       

When I was a little girl, I loved spending time with my Mother in the kitchen.  My Mother was a vision of skill and wonder as she moved around the room stirring this or tasting that,  to put together meals that fed our bodies and souls.   Oh the glorious smells and tastes that came from her creations.  She would let me lick the spoons or the beaters from the mixer.  She even made little aprons for me from the same fabric as hers so that I would feel that I had an important role in the kitchen! My first chore was to pull a chair up to the kitchen sink after supper to “wash” the dishes.  Actually I usually just played  in the water, pretending to cook and to serve my guests.   One glorious day, she pulled a chair up to the stove where she had put some ingredients in a pan.  She told me to take the wooden spoon and to stir carefully but to not touch the stove because it was hot.  As I stirred, the mixture grew thicker and smelled of delicious chocolate!  It was cooked chocolate pudding—my favorite----and I had made it!  I was so proud and it tasted like heaven!  This experience is what started my absolute love of creating and cooking in the kitchen.   Thank you, Mother.   I am indeed fortunate because my Mother is still a major influence on me and my recipes.  We share recipe ideas every week.   I hope you will enjoy making chocolate pudding  with someone you love!

Ingredients:
2/3  cup sugar
½ cup cocoa
¼ cup cornstarch
½ t. salt
4 cups whole milk
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 T. butter
2 t. vanilla

Instructions:
*Place sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt into a large saucepan—whisk together.
*Pour the milk over the dry ingredients and whisk until combined a bit.
*Bring the mixture to a low  boil, stirring constantly with a large spoon.  Keep at a low boil for 2 to 3 minutes stirring constantly.
*Reduce heat and stir a bit longer until pudding is desired consistency.
*Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips, butter and vanilla.
*Spoon evenly into small dessert bowls  (individual servings) and refrigerate.
*Serve as is or with homemade whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment