Wednesday, May 16, 2012

CROCK POT ITALIAN SAUCY SHELLS

                      

This is one of those days when I wasn’t sure what I wanted to fix for supper and I didn’t have time to go the grocery store.  So I pulled out my trusty crockpot and opened up the freezer and pantry to see what would develop.  I had some frozen ground turkey in the freezer, some herbs and cheese in the fridge and some sauce and artichoke hearts in the pantry.   The result was a delicious supper with very little effort.  Here it is for you to make----or create your own “weekday masterpiece”  and let me know what you came up with!!

Ingredients:
1 and ½ pounds ground turkey
½ onion, chopped
½ large yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 large cans Hunts tomato sauce
1 medium can Alymer diced tomatoes
½ cup torn fresh basil
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1 to 2 cans of artichoke hearts, chopped
½ t. oregano
2 T. sugar
1 box of jumbo pasta shells, uncooked
1  and ½ cups ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
½ cup parmagiana reggiano cheese, shredded

Instructions:
*Brown ground turkey with onion and bell pepper
*Turn large crockpot on the “4 hour setting”
*Add tomato sauce and the next 7 ingredients to the crock pot, Stir to combine.
*Place pasta shells over sauce.
*Spread ricotta cheese as evenly as possible over the shells.
*Sprinkle  the final 2 cheeses over the ricotta.
*Cover and allow to cook for remaining time.
*Serve with lima beans, salad and toasted Italian bread.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm. Sounds yummy.

    Baby is coming soon!! So excited for you!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emilie! Girl, I'm a sucker for all things Italian and cheesy :) So you don't stuff the shells? Doesn't get much easier than that! Sounds a little like my baked ziti. Yummmm I could eat that every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Susan---it's easy. Don't stuff the shells---this is just a dump and run recipe!

    ReplyDelete