Wednesday, May 2, 2012

MANGO DINNER SALAD

                 

Today I simply want to  proclaim the virtue of the mango!  I hope you already enjoy this delightful fruit but in case you don’t or haven’t eaten one lately, I encourage you to try it again.  I think we get in a habit of using the same fruits in our diet---day in and day out---the dependable apples, bananas and grapes.  We often don’t go to the trouble to incorporate the more exotic and perhaps less common mango.   I just love its sweetness and that hint of pine that reminds me of Christmas!   I will share with you my favorite way to enjoy mangos below, but I want you to  remember the marvelous mango when you are blending up your breakfast smoothie or looking for a fruit topping for your ice cream.  Also keep it in mind when you are creating a wonderful fruit salad  or a summer salsa.  You will NOT be disappointed!

Ingredients: Salad for Four
½  of a head of iceberg lettuce, washed and torn into bite size pieces
1 head of romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
2 large handfuls of baby spinach, washed and stems removed
½ cup shredded carrots
1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
2 mangos, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
2 cups grilled chicken, cut into bite size pieces
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
Splash of extra virgin olive oil
Black pepper

Instructions:
*Combine all ingredients in a large bowl except for oil vinegar and pepper.
*In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil and pepper and pour over salad.
OPTIONAL:
Use chunky bleu cheese salad dressing or dressing of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment