Tuesday, January 3, 2012

NEW YEAR'S BAKED BEANS

                          

Today’s recipe was created because I had so many black eyed peas left over after our traditional Southern New Year’s menu.  The beautiful dried peas looked so innocent in the bag before I cooked them, but boy did they swell up!  I think they multiplied 3 times over- after an hour and a half of cooking.  They are so good though---I served them with boiled pork roast (posted on October 28th), sweet potato soufflé (posted on November 8th , collard greens, cornbread and delicious cole slaw (posted on November 5th).  So I’ve been threatening my family to serve the leftover black eyed peas for breakfast, lunch and dinner until they’re gone---but we had them last night with steak, salad and scalloped potatoes (posted on November 2nd).    I reintroduced them in the baked bean conglomeration posted below.  I think they turned out pretty good and I hope you enjoy trying it out.

Ingredients:
One 14 ounce can of maple style Heinz white beans
3 cups cooked black eyed peas
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large stalks of celery, chopped
1/4 cup mustard
½ cup ketchup (or more)
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup french’s fried onion rings (chopped) (or more)
Black pepper to taste

Instructions:
*Spray a square pyrex baking dish with PAM.
*Stir all ingredients together in the baking dish as you add them in.
*Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

VARIATION:
**I often use 2 cans of small navy beans with the maple white beans instead of the black eyed peas.  You may also add chopped up cooked bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment