Thursday, March 15, 2012

PARSNIP SOUP

                                   

Parsnip soup is one of those things that I thought I’d never try.  It almost sounds like punishment for a child doesn’t  it?  Well I assure you that it not only is delicious----it is a total reward!  I first had it in a restaurant where it was served with a tiny garnish of pork belly,  believe it or not.  Now I don’t even want to know how to go about getting pork belly---so I suggest a garnish of sour cream and dill (as I did in the picture) or maybe a bit of crunchy bacon.  No matter what garnish you choose make sure you make this wonderful soup from what I think is a forgotten and neglected vegetable.  Come on, let’s support parsnips!

Ingredients:
3 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 small sweet onion, chopped
1 firm apple, chopped
1 pint vegetable stock
2 T. butter
1 pint milk
¼ cup fresh parsley

Instructions:
*Place chopped parsnips, onion and apple in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender.
*Add butter, milk and parsley.
*Place in a heat safe blender and puree.
*Return to the saucepan and return to a simmer.
*Taste and add any seasonings you desire (salt, pepper, coriander or nutmeg) and more liquid (milk or broth) if it is too thick.
*Garnish and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment