Tuesday, March 27, 2012

JAZZY TURKEY BURGERS

                           

I love turkey burgers but I could tell that my husband was thinking that they were too bland.  So I decided to jazz them up a bit.  I hope you will try this great alternative to ground beef and I think my additions make them even more nutritious!  Chickpeas and black beans will add zinc and are an excellent source of protein since they are so low in fat.  They are also high in fiber and really add a wonderful depth of flavor to the ground turkey.  Any unused chickpeas or black beans can be used in a great salad or in tacos.   As always, add whatever herbs and seasonings you enjoy the most.  If you don’t have any extra seasonings on hand---good old salt and pepper will do nicely.    My recipe will detail the ones I use.


Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
½ cup mashed canned chickpeas (use less if you wish)
½ cup mashed canned black beans (use less if you wish)
¼ t. cumin
1/8 t. turmeric
1/8 t. cardamom
Dash of celery salt
1/8 t. black pepper
Dash of kosher salt

Instructions:
*Mash the chickpeas and black beans very well using a fork or potato masher with small holes.
*Add whatever seasonings you wish
*Add ground turkey and mix until very well combined.
*Spray hands with PAM and make out burger patties.
*Fry in a frying pan that has been sprayed with PAM.  The turkey burgers have a tendency to stick, so cook on medium heat and turn over often.

No comments:

Post a Comment