Thursday, March 8, 2012

EGGS: SCRAMBLED, POACHED, FRIED AND BOILED

                                    

I love eggs---in almost every form.  They are really comfort food for me, especially scrambled egg sandwiches (try toasting the bread to make them extra special).  My Daddy used to make them for me when I was a little girl.  Often on Sunday nights now, we have leftovers or breakfast for supper---which to me is a real treat.
Now most of you probably already know how to make eggs your favorite way, but I want share the basics for those of you who wonder.  So today I will share how I make scrambled, poached, boiled and fried eggs.  Of course, I think the perfect accompaniment to eggs is a serving of grits!  No matter how you like them, I hope you will enjoy revisiting the basics of making eggs.   

Ingredients for scrambled eggs:
2 eggs
A splash of milk, half & half or water
Pinch of salt
Pinch of black pepper
½ t. of margarine or butter

Instructions:
*In a bowl, combine cracked eggs, milk and seasonings.  Beat with a fork until frothy.
*Place margarine in a sauté pan and melt.
*Pour egg mixture into hot pan.
*Stir continuously with a spoon until eggs begin to firm up.  Cover the entire surface of the pan so that eggs are the same soft consistency throughout.
*Remove eggs from heat and serve before they get too dry (I like soft scrambled eggs).

Ingredients for poached eggs:
1 or 2 eggs
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:  Truthfully my favorite way for making poached eggs is to use an egg poaching pan---which is a tray with indentations for the cracked eggs to sit in that is placed over a saucepan of simmering water.  Following is the more traditional way to poach eggs.
*Place  4 inches of water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
*Crack an egg into a small bowl.
*Gently pour the egg into the boiling water and allow it to simmer for at least 4 minutes for a soft egg or longer for a harder yolk.
*Remove from water with a slotted spoon and season to taste.
**You may use a tablespoon of vinegar in the boiling water to reduce the spreading of the white of the egg.  I usually don’t find this to be a big problem so I don’t use the vinegar.


Ingredients for fried eggs:
1 or 2 eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
1 t. margarine or butter

Instructions for fried eggs:
*Place butter or margarine into a small frying pan and melt.
*Drop egg into melted margarine
*Season egg and allow it to cook on medium low heat until it reaches desired doneness.
*For a “sunny side up” egg,  cook it on very low heat
*For a well done egg, you may cook it faster (medium low heat) and turn it over once.

Instructions for boiled eggs:
*Place 3 inches of water and an unshelled egg into a saucepan. Cover.
*Bring the water to a rolling boil.
*Turn off the heat but do not open the lid for 10 minutes for a hard egg or 4 minutes for a soft boiled egg.
*Remove egg shell and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment