Monday, July 2, 2012

GRILLED CORN ON THE COB

photo.JPG        

I have always wanted to try my hand at grilled corn on the cob, so last night I finally did it.  We are in the midst of our 2 weeks of hot weather here in Calgary, and I didn’t want to heat up the kitchen to boil the corn- so I added the ears of corn to the grill with the trout I was cooking.  It was so delicious and I think you will enjoy the distinctive taste that the grill provided.  Just watch out for catching a husk or two on fire (not that that happened to me—haha)!
Also, whenever I am preparing corn on the cob, I always make more than I will need because the leftovers are amazing!  After your meal just remove the kernels from the cobs that are leftover and serve at your next supper or place them in a Ziploc bag and freeze for later use.  You’ll be glad to have this wonderful vegetable at the ready whenever the mood strikes.

Ingredients:
6 to 8 ears of corn---WITH HUSKS
Aluminum foil pieces (approximately 8 inches  by 4 inches) to place around the ends of each piece of corn being grilled.

Instructions:
*Carefully open the husks without removing them completely. 
*Peel the husks back enough to remove the silks and then run just the ear of corn under a stream of water.  Of course if you see dirt or a brown spot on the corn—remove it.
*Fold the husks back over the corn and place all the ears of corn under water in a large bowl or pan and let the ears soak for 15 minutes.
*Remove the corn from the water and shake off excess.
*Squeeze the ends of each husk closed and place an aluminum foil piece around each open end to secure---twist to close.  Make sure the husks are covering all the kernels or the corn will char.
*Place the corn on the grill.  Cook on medium low to low (turning the corn often) until the corn is roasted (approximately 15 minutes).    Test corn by opening one up a bit and removing a few kernels with the twist of a fork  and taste.
*When corn is roasted, remove husks and season with your favorite flavored butter and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment