Friday, June 22, 2012

MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM PIE

photo.JPG            

This recipe is indeed a family favorite and it has been a long time in the making.  When the kids were little I made this pie a couple of times for special celebrations and then of course I lost the recipe somehow.  Well, I made the mistake of telling my children that I lost the recipe, so now when I ask them what cake they’d like for me to make for their birthday, they always get a faraway look and say, “wouldn’t it be great if you hadn’t lost that recipe for the chocolate mint ice cream pie”?  Now I have made all kinds of great homemade cakes (if I do say so myself) and I have purchased countless ice cream cakes, but nothing seems to measure up to their memory of that crazy pie.  So for my daughter’s recent birthday I spent way too much of what’s left of my dwindling brain power to put together---what I think is as close as I’m ever going to get--- to the revered pie.  So here it is world----and to my children I say----it’s time to move on people!

Ingredients:  for the crust
1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
2 T. butter
2 cups Rice Krispies cereal

Instructions:
*In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate chips and the butter, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and pour over cereal.
*Immediately spread the mixture evenly into a large deep-dish pyrex pie plate.  Make sure to spread along the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate using your hands (which you can spray with PAM to make it easier) or a spoon. 
*Place in the freezer until it hardens.

Ingredients:  for the 1st   ice cream layer
Note:  I use 2 different kinds of ice cream (with my own additions) for  each of the two ice cream layers.  You may use any flavor(s)  of ice cream you prefer or even just make one larger layer of ice cream, instead of two smaller layers.  You may also spread a layer of crushed cookies between the two ice cream layers.  I was trying to develop a distinctively mint pie  in this case.

2 cups Organic, natural mint- chocolate chunk ice cream (white, not green in color), softened
1 cup of oreo cookies, crushed
1 square of semi-sweet baking chocolate, slivered


Instructions:
*Mix softened ice cream with crushed cookies and slivered chocolate.
*Spread over chocolate Rice Krispie pie crust
*Cover and return to freezer to firm up (15 minutes).

Ingredients:  for 2nd ice cream layer
2 cups mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened (green in color)
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Instructions:
*Mix softened ice cream with chocolate chips
*Remove pie from freezer and spread mixture over first layer.
*Return pie to freezer to firm up ( 15 minutes)

Ingredients:  for topping
2 cups heavy cream
1 t. vanilla
4 T. confectioner’s sugar
3 drops of peppermint extract (omit if not making a mint pie)

Instructions:
*Whip cream with vanilla, peppermint and confectioner’s sugar until stiff peaks form.
*Remove pie from freezer and spread topping across the pie.
*Return pie to freezer to firm up (30 minutes).

Ingredients:  for Ganache
4 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate (4 baking squares or chocolate chips)
8 T. heavy cream

Instructions:
*Melt chocolate and cream until chocolate is melted, stirring constantly.
*Add more cream if desired
*Place ganache in a “decorating plastic squeeze bottle” and draw lines, designs or write names on top of frozen pie as desired.  You may also simply use a spoon to

1 comment: