Monday, October 24, 2011

SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS


This is a  favorite family recipe.   Leftovers freeze well (if you have any) J   I also try to make extra meatballs to freeze (after I cook them).  That way I have them on hand when I want to make this dish in a hurry.  I usually serve the meatballs and spaghetti with lima beans (try them ---they are a great accompaniment) and a salad and bread.  Enjoy!


Meatballs:
 1 ½ pounds ground beef
1 finely chopped red bell pepper
1 finely chopped sweet onion
2 slices water-soaked white bread (or bread crumbs)
Kosher salt (to taste)
Black pepper (to taste)

Instructions:  Following is how I usually prepare the meatballs.  Occasionally though I cook them in a skillet or bake them in the oven.  Every family  has their favorite way to prepare meatballs.

*Mix above ingredients together thoroughly and form into balls, 1-1/2 inches in diameter.
Drop into rapidly boiling  water and cook through.
Remove from water and drain.

Sauce:
3 large cans- Hunts Tomato Sauce
¼  cup sugar
1 ½ cups sharp cheese (or cheese of your choice)
2-3 tablespoons fresh basil

Instructions:
*Place sauce and sugar in a large soup pot or dutch oven.
*Bring to a gentle boil and then turn down to simmer.
*Add meatballs and heat through.
*Add cheese and basil

Spaghetti: (I use spaghettini or angel hair)
*Boil spaghetti according to directions on box.
*Add to spaghetti sauce or spoon sauce over individual servings of pasta.
*Sprinkle parmesan cheese over servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment