Saturday, October 29, 2011

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS


**I hope you enjoy this beautiful recipe that I adapted from Ina Garten.  I have been using it for years---and have made a few subtle changes from the original to make it just right for my family.   That is what I hope you will do with my recipes as I post for you on the daily blog.  Take them, adapt them to fit your family’s personality and enjoy them for years to come!

1 and ½ sticks butter, softened (12 Tablespoons or ¾ cup)
1 and ½ cups sugar
3 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sour cream
¼ cup milk
2 and ½ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries

Instructions:
*Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. You may use a mixer but I usually mix muffins by hand –because I think it keeps muffins tender and less dense.
 *Add eggs and vanilla.
* Add sour cream and milk.
* In a separate bowl whisk together dry ingredients.  Add flour mixture to the batter, being careful not to overmix.
* Gently  fold in the blueberries with a large spatula. 
*Spoon the batter into muffin tins that have been sprayed just across the top surface with PAM and place cupcake liners in each cup.
*Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until muffins are lightly browned (test for doneness).

**A note about blueberries:
I usually try to buy blueberries when they are in season or at least on sale and freeze them (unwashed) in large Ziploc bags.  Then when I need them, I have them on hand to add to cereal, pancakes, muffins or just to eat!  Remove just the amount of blueberries you need from your frozen stash and wash quickly and look them over to remove any stems.  I also try to add the blueberries to the muffin batter while they are still frozen so that the batter doesn’t turn blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment