Wednesday, September 5, 2012

ENCHILADA STYLE RICE


*This is such an easy dish.  My husband just loves it!  I don’t make it very often, but when I do, he thinks I’ve really done something special.  When I don’t have any “store-bought” enchilada mix, I just make my own.  I’ve included that recipe at the end.  Enjoy!

1 pound ground turkey
¼ cup chopped red and green bell pepper
¼ cup chopped onion
1 package enchilada mix (use taco mix if you can’t find enchilada mix)
1 can of Rotel tomatoes (I can’t find these in Canada so I use regular canned, diced tomatoes and then add jalapeno peppers and green chilies to taste).
2 cups cooked white rice (substitute brown rice if you wish)
8 ounces shredded fat-free Velveeta cheese (or regular velveeta cheese or Mexican-style shredded sharp cheese).

Instructions:
*Brown the ground turkey with the onions and peppers.  Add the enchilada mix and tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes.  Stir rice into turkey mixture.  *Place rice and turkey mixture into a square pyrex baking dish that has been sprayed with PAM.
*Place cheese all over the top.
*Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.  Place aluminum foil over the top if it becomes too brown before cooking is finished.


Homemade Enchilada Mix
Mix together the following:
2 t. chili powder
2 t. black pepper
2 t. paprika
½ t. cayenne pepper
1 t. kosher salt
½ t. coriander
1 t. cumin
1 t. oregano

No comments:

Post a Comment